Subscribe and we'll send a discount code for 5% off your first order (as well as informative, lipsmacking newsletters).
Christmas Crossword 2017: solution and winners
Thanks to everyone who has entered, tried and given up, or joined in the whole crossword conversation with us in any way during the last few weeks.
The competition has been great fun and certainly seems to have got people talking—we hope you enjoyed it.
The winning entries have been drawn, using a random number generator, from the fully correct crosswords received, and here, with our congratulations, are the names of the lucky winners:
Bottle of Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape: Miriam Murphy
€30 voucher: Aidan Tyrrell
€30 voucher: Lucia O'Donovan
€30 voucher: Úna Clarke
Well done! We'll be in touch with you shortly to arrange the prizes.
And there's more…
If you entered but are not one of the winners, don't be disappointed—all is not lost. We thought all the entrants deserved some recognition, so details of a small consolation prize will be sent to the e-mail address you provided on your entry form.
And now, without further ado, here is the completed grid and, beneath it, the original clues with answers.
1. Spanish term for a wine aged in oak (7)
5. Organic compound not for sale to under-18s (7)
9. Shandon bells are these (7)
10. In report on fortified wine city (5)
11. A good place for storage Down Under? (6)
12. French ways in on the menu? (7)
14. Châteauneuf-du-? (4)
15. Munster anglers' delight—not so welcome in your glass? (10)
19. She may top the tree in country places (5,5)
20. Wine auf Deutsch (4)
22. One of the things decanting does (7)
25. Atmosphere from the distillery? (6)
27. Another name for the ‘international varieties’ of grapes, including Pinot Noir and Chardonnay (5)
28. Appellation in the Southern Rhône (7)
29. Sew-sew feature of a real Christmas tree (7)
30. One of the céad míle fáilte (7)
1. The real capital, some say (4)
2. Agoraphobic landlord? (9)
INNKEEPER (keeps in)
3. She sounds like Christmas (6)
4. Where the Margaret River flows into the sea (9)
5. Essential ingredient in cider (5)
6. Can we opt for this South African port (4,4)
7. 1HP biodynamic tractor (5)
8. Appears to have had one too many (5,5)
13. The capital of Champagne? French disagreement follows (7,3)
16. Bottle opener—from the rebels' ship? (9)
17. One way of describing Bubble Brothers, cut short (3,4,2)
THE WINE CO
18. Synopsis of ‘Ten Green Bottles’ (1,3,4)
A LOT FELL
21. Dry, light, seasonal sparkler (6)
23. Spanish red aged in oak for less time than 1 across (5)
24. They're necessary for Bing's Christmas dreams to come true (5)
SNOWS (Bing Crosby sang about ‘dreaming of a white Christmas’)