Christmas Crossword 2019: solutions and winners
The Bubble Brothers Christmas Crossword competition has ended for another year.
Here, at last, are details of our Christmas Crossword 2019 solutions and winners. Thanks to everyone who took part, whether you submitted an entry or not. It seems the puzzle brought people together and gave rise to both amusement and head-scratching—that's what we were aiming for.
As in previous years, we've drawn a winning entry, using a random number generator, from all the fully correct entries received before the deadline last night.
The bottle of Krug Grande Cuvée goes to:
Because there isn't Krug for all of us…
Not all of us think the same way, and that's why wine (and crosswords) retain our interest. This year there were a couple of solutions that proved unexpectedly elusive, and some ingenious techniques were brought into play for completing the grid regardless.
A number of entrants were quite certain that there were errors in the puzzle, and we understand what led them astray. We're learning, too: lessons for the setting of future competitions.
So once again, humbug! to Scrooge.
If your answers didn't quite fit, fear not.
Everyone who entered in the appropriate spirit will receive an e-mail with a voucher for five euro to spend in our English Market shop.
Here are the answers as intended by the compiler. If you're still puzzling after seeing the completed grid, drop us a line and we'll do what we can to shed some light.
- 1. Wine region north of Lyon (10)
- 6. City stops the wine getting out (4)
- 10. Enter at speed for an altercation (3, 2)
- RUN IN
- 11. Listen, Mrs—the entertainers are confused (9)
- 12. A round at the Everyman? (8)
- 13. Keep the mercury low and don't move (6)
- 15. Blue dogs and black cows? This is the place! (5)
- 16. API septet is reconfigured for inclinations (9)
- 17. Like the holly and the ivy and 29 across (8)
- 20. Wine region north of Bordeaux (5)
- 22. Garbled idiom includes 50% of UK to withering effect and 9 down (6)
- 23. Duck, tongue and citrus (8)
- 26. Not the latest fabric or rose (3, 6)
- OLD DAMASK
- 27. Way out matter (5)
- 28. A very particular kind of snowman (4)
- 29. Found at the end of mistlefeet? (10)
- 1. Strong drink under the top of the barrel, for soldiers (7)
- 2. Takes pains to reveal a bargain (1, 4)
- A SNIP
- 3. The first of twelve in 2020 (7)
- 4. Slashed map, recycled, made light filters (10)
- 5. Taverns in National Schools initially (4)
- 7. Recipe for indigestion (7)
- 8. You might find them under 29 across (7)
- 9. Bad news for homeowners—nonsense!
- IT'S ROT
- 14. Free trade arrangement is chilly for stallholders (4, 6)
- OPEN MARKET
- 17. The study of wine in the USA (7)
- 18. Final revision broke off the engagement (5, 2)
- ENDED IT
- 19. Gas duo makes cheeses (6)
- 20. Delivery professional (7)
- 21. They are encouraged to smoke in Mass (7)
- 24. Italian red (5)
- 25. Wise men from the East (4)